Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default Blow torches: are they still used?

dennis@home wrote:
"John" wrote in message
I have to paint the window frames on our 45 year old house. The
paint is very thick, but in *very* bad order, with great flakes
coming off in some parts, solid as rock in other parts. In the
past, I've rubbed down and scraped, rubbed down again, then primed,
undercoated etc. ... thus really making the problem worse I guess.

I'm wondering about completely stripping one or two of the frames
this year, but the only way I can think of is to use a blow torch:
are these still used? I used to hate using a torch (very difficult
to get a uniform result, and the dangers of fire, scorching, cracked
glass etc.), but I hate Nitromors even more (*also* very difficult
to get a uniform result, and absolutely horrible stuff).

You just need a bit of practice and you won't scorch anything.

I have a propane torch but it gets used with the 37kW burner mostly
(well over the top for paint).
I replaced all the external wood with plastic years ago.

pmsl, you burnt all the frames then Dennis? ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite