Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Farley Bruce Farley is offline

Default Anyone heard of "rotton stone"?

Thanks for the help. My friend confirms that is what he is looking for.
Thanks, Bruce

Phil-in-MI wrote:

Tell your friend to go to an Automotive retail supply store and get
1000, 1200, and 1500 grit wet / dry sandpaper (usually near the car
paint.) I like the 3M brand the best.

I tried the product your friend was talking about once, way too much
trouble. It acts a lot like automotive rubbing compound, but for wood
finish.

Automotive hobbyist who buff up their cars have a lot of products that
do a lot of the same shine things that woodworkers want to do. The big
difference is the wax added to the car shine stuff, which can be cleaned
off. If you have access to a car buffer try a few of the Meguiar's
Mirror glaze line of products. For example, after grit 1500 wet/dry,
then Meguiar's #1, then #5 (or #7), and I think you can skip to #9.

Phil

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
.com...

A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if
I could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood
finishes. I used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot
and Orchard and they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood
working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce