Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone heard of "rotton stone"?

A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes.
I used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard
and they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
.com...
A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes. I
used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard and
they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

More of a polish than for making wood look aged.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Bruce Farley wrote:

A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes.
I used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard
and they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43040
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Yes, what Leon said. Go he
http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/behpumice.htm

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
.com...
A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes.

used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard and
they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

More of a polish than for making wood look aged.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood
finishes. I used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot
and Orchard and they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood
working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

More of a polish than for making wood look aged.

Googling 'rottenstone' will tell you more about the subject than your
friend wants to know.

Scott
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

If someone is by you, before you use it explain to them that it is the stone
and "you did not cut the cheese".

"Allen" wrote in message
In article ,
Bruce Farley wrote:

A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes.
I used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard
and they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list
it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43040

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tell your friend to go to an Automotive retail supply store and get 1000,
1200, and 1500 grit wet / dry sandpaper (usually near the car paint.) I
like the 3M brand the best.

I tried the product your friend was talking about once, way too much
trouble. It acts a lot like automotive rubbing compound, but for wood
finish.

Automotive hobbyist who buff up their cars have a lot of products that do a
lot of the same shine things that woodworkers want to do. The big
difference is the wax added to the car shine stuff, which can be cleaned
off. If you have access to a car buffer try a few of the Meguiar's Mirror
glaze line of products. For example, after grit 1500 wet/dry, then
Meguiar's #1, then #5 (or #7), and I think you can skip to #9.

Phil

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
.com...
A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes. I
used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard and
they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

This material is a fine abrasive, finer than pumice, used for rubbing out
finishes, primarily lacquer. In use it is combined with a very light oil
such as baby oil and is rubbed with a clean felt block. It is available at
such places as Woodworker's Supply, Woodcraft, and similar stores. I
can't imagine its use for aging a finish.

"Tex" wrote in message
om...
In article ,
says...

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
.com...
A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes.
used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard and
they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list
it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

More of a polish than for making wood look aged.

You can get it thru Rockler's

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes.

More of a polish than for making wood look aged.

Read "aging" as an adjective rather than a verb - a comma afterward
would have helped.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
.com...
A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes. I
used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard and
they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

More of a polish than for making wood look aged.

Rottenstone can be used for making wood look old. It is done by mixing
it with wax and pushing into the corners and moldings of you work. It
simulates dust accululation (you can also use cigar ashes.)

--
To reply, remove .nojunk from my email address.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=849-839

Preston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:11:46 GMT, pduck
wrote:

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
.com...
A friend of mine sent me this message today and I said I would see if I
could find out anything.

I am looking for a product called rotten stone for aging wood finishes. I
used to use it at my dads shop. I have tried Home depot and Orchard and
they look at me as if I'm crazy. Any of your wood working sites list it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

More of a polish than for making wood look aged.

You have get two grades of fineness. Your usually start with Pumice
Stone, then follow up with Rottenstone. It will polish lacquer and
shellac finishes to a very high gloss. You can find both of them in
paint stores such as Benjamin moores. In Canada Rona stores carry
both, Lee valley carries it as well and they will do mail order