Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical help needed

wrote:
dpb wrote:
wrote:
Good point, around here most panels are surface mount, in garages and
such.

Is OP around there??? Do you know what OP's mount is?

... replace the service drop, meter can ...

Those are external to the panel which is the item under discussion. If
those must be replaced, they have to be done irrespective of the panel
itself so no difference afaics.

As for the "guts" of the panel vis a vis replacing a panel, having the
wire already pulled and in place _is_ a sizable time-saver.

As for rust, if the box is in a place so wet that it's rusty enough to
need replacement, that's yet another problem that is totally unrelated
to subject question and needs to be addressed and selecting either a
new box or a retrofit kit doesn't address that problem/symptom (other
than masking it by putting a new box in a unsuitable location).

Geez I am having trouble explaining my position.

Someone suggested replacing the guts to save bucks

I asked does the current panel haver the AMP capacity? probably not
adding a 50 amp load

The response was you can use the existing box and upgrade the amp
capacity..

I asked about the service drop meter can and am told thats a seperate
issue.

Well NO ITS REALLY NOT, if the AMP capacity isnt enough upgrading will
require a new service drop meter can etc, at least around here the
panel capacity is matched to the service drop.

at that point using the old box wouldnt save much and a new one is
likely larger physically, my old FBE panel is on the small side, it
needs replaced and when that occurs I will have to remove some
shelving...

I wouldnt replace everything but the outer box, probably doesnt save
much and may cause irritating questions at home resale time, buyers are
very fussy.