Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical help needed

wrote:
Unless her Stab Locc panel is 200 amps she should just replace the
entire thing.

That's what the CH retrofit cabinet does (except for the outer
box)...the cost savings is some on the material but mostly based on the
shorter replacement time/less labor associated with changing out the
components vis a vis ripping the whole box out and replacing it. This,
of course, assumes that one is having it done professionally which is
almost a universal recommendation for anyone who's asking for advice on
usenet...

FPE panels have breakers that dont trip, or never trip again after one
overload.

More precisely, FPE Stab-lok panels/breakers have had instances of such
failures at a high enough rate to make replacement a viable
consideration...

The _really_ bad thing in the story from my perspective is that
apparently FPE actually went so far as to have falsified test data and
filings to UL, etc., to get listings approved.

I haven't replaced all the FPE stuff here yet, but will
eventually....which is how I discovered the CH retrofits.