Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted

Default Turbo Coach Screws-not.

wrote:
That's good going, even for an impact driver. You're pushing the
whole150mm into the timber?

Yes, of course.

I use 6x100m and similar turbogold a lot, mostly in mahogany or oak,
predrill at 3-4mm (with a clearance hole in the attached timber) and my
14.4v bosch impact driver can start to slow. Pushing harder than that
and it's very possible to snap a screw. Lube helps a bit.

This was softwood, as I deliberately mentioned. I have no doubt it
would be a very different story in hardwood. Hang on ...

Right, tried it on a bit of beech - it got about two inches in and
seized solid. So I tried it on some softwood to make sure I hadn't just
forgotten drilling pilot holes. It worked - I had to to back up a
couple of inches about three times to get a 'run-up' and presumably
clear the 'drilling' edges (more than I'd remembered doing, although I
do recall doing that for last inch or so).

10mm is unlikely to snap, but what about it simply locking solid (and
unwilling to reverse out) before fully inserted?

That just happened on the beech - had to use a spanner to free it up.

How close to an edge can you go with 10mm, without pre-drilling? Did
you lube them? Did you get any cracking along the grain?

What I'd previously done was attaching a 3 by 2 to a 4 by 2, through the
2 inch faces, right in the middle. No lube and no cracking. The
beech I just did right at the end of a plank, about 15mm in. A crack
was developing along the grain.