Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,alt.activism.noise.pollution
The Ghost

Default Bedroom in apartment: Need ideas to buffer sounds from ceiling/neighbors

Angelo Campanella wrote in
:

888eight888 wrote:

There must be something that would deaden sound...I understand, Tony,
that you don't believe so. "Move out" or "get used to the noise" is all
or nothing.

You are missing the point. Once the sound has entered the room space
ANYWHERE, it will be heard everywhere.

Imagine the smell of a skunk!
No matter how much you mop up, you WILL smell the skunk.

A barrier to his fumes is the only hope.

If someone else has actually tried something or heard of someone else
trying something successfully - let me know.

We do this all the time.

It is a closed barrier to the space above he ceiling. In addition to
being closed, it must have mass; one or two layers of drywall.

It MUST also have an independeent cavity behind it; hence either a new
ceiling surface several inches below that existing, or the old inferior
ceiling surface must be removed and the new ceiling on a separate
support structure is to be constru cted below the old ceiling, the new
dryewall back surface being exposed to the overall cavity.

All joints and corneredges must be taped closed.

I am just looking for some reduction in the impact of the noise, not
complete silence.

Anytthing other than this treatment (or incapacitation of the residents
above) will fail.

Angelo Campanella

I vote for incapacitation of the residents above. With a last name such as
yours, I would think that you might be in a position to refer the OP to
people who are in that line of work. :-)