Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex Coleman

Default WD40 or 3-in-one: which is better

On 08 Jun 2006, Chris wrote:

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Alex Coleman contains these words:

Maybe by now they have got it about right?

Not as a lubricant, they haven't. Or at least, not when I last
used it as one a few years ago.

For a short term lubricant it's good, because it gets in quick, but
long term especially somewhere warm it can be worse than useless by
washing away the last trace of proper oil.

It is good for removing label glue, but no better than paraffin - I
keep a bottle of "lamp oil" which even takes label glue off (shiny)
book covers without marking them.

I use white spirit (turps substitute). Is paraffin actually better
at label removing that white spirit is?