Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Turbo Coach Screws-not.

Hi All

Just received some 10 x 100mm Turbo Coach Screws from Screwfix.

The catalogue description reads:
"Make any job faster with Zinc-plated, Yellow-passivated Coach Screws,
combining the unique design of the Turbo Screw along with a self-cutting
point. (May require pilot holes in harder substrates.) Unique Rifled Shank
for Easier Driving & Reduced Splitting, Self-Drilling Point".

You simply cannot drive these into softwood without a large pilot hole!!!!
Let alone 'harder substrates'.

I tried with my 14.4v driver (loads of torque), a 350w mains driver and a
500w variable speed drill. No chance at all, they go in for about an inch
and thats it.

Screwfix have responded to the problem by offering a credit without
collection to be fair to them, but I'm still going to lose time on a large
decking job. I've ordered some 6.3 x 100 Exterior Timber Screws at double
the cost in the hope they will drive OK.

Never trust a catalogue description!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman