Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,alt.activism.noise.pollution
888eight888

Default Bedroom in apartment: Need ideas to buffer sounds from ceiling/neighbors

Tony wrote:
"888eight888" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tony wrote:
"888eight888" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks for the input and ideas, all...

Here is a sample to give you a general idea of the noises in question;
194KB...3 separate ones @ 16 seconds total.

http://m45-2006.tripod.com/cgi-bin/6...ghborNoise.mp3

Without knowing the conditions of recording, or any reference to indicate
how loud it was, it is a bit difficult to tell what it sounded like in
reality. However at a guess I would say the cause is simply a very
lightweight floor construction. Is your apartment purpose built or a
conversion?

It's a big house with apartment units, so I suppose it wasn't
originally built for that purpose.

The recording is crude - it's mono and the sounds have a lot more
impact in reality. I just wanted to show the characteristics of the
sounds.

Regarding what you said about the lightweight floor - you can hear in
the second one, as the person stomps, the floor buckles...

Sorry the answer doesn't change: it needs structural work. Don't waste
money and effort by sticking things to the ceiling. There are no magic
materials that provide a certain amount of noise reduction, regardless of
what ignorant manufacturers may write. Noise reduction depends totally on
the conditions of use, and in your case there is nothing that you can stick
on the ceiling that will have a worthwhile effect. Get used to the noise or
move.

There nust be something that would deaden sound...I understand, Tony,
that you don't believe so. "Move out" or "get used to the noise" is all
or nothing.

If someone else has actually tried something or heard of someone else
trying something successfully - let me know.

I am just looking for some reduction in the impact of the noise, not
complete silence.