Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default New central heating system - Please please help !!!

In message .com,
writes
Hi

Excuse my ignorance however I know nothing about plumbing or central
heating systems but need help with some advice.

I live in a 1930's averaged sized 3 bedroom semi-detached house. The
heating system needs replacing as its not efficient and old. The
radiators we have are too small for the rooms and do not heat them very

well. We currently have a back-boiler that we want removed and have
what I think is called a 'conventional heating system' (tank in the
loft and storage tank in a cupboard.

A heating engineer came round to quote and advise on what we should do.

They are not engineers, they are installers / fitters

His recommendation was to stay well clear of condensing boilers
(because they are not reliable and hard to fix??) and didn't suggest a
combi boilder because our pipework wasn't suited.

Legally after the 1st April last year, unless there are sufficient
mitigating circumstances, effectively, by law you must install a
condensing boiler

He suggested keeping the current set-up but replacing the tank, boiler
and putting new radiators up and heating controls. We are having a
single-storey extension built and the tank would be piped into the new
extension.

It sounds like he doesn't understand them and prolly shouldn't be let
anywhere near your heating system

Look for someone else, ask around
--
geoff