Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Zoeller sump pumps need service every 5-7 years?

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 04:14:48 -0500, wrote:

One of my neighbors *thought* she had a problem. When I went over
there, the motor was humming constantly. Her pipe had rusted too and
the motor which is attached to it fell over and the pump couldn't
turn, so the motor was on continuously, doing nothing. I told her to

I recall now that the motor was on for a while, and then the built in
circuit breaker or thermal interrupt would stop it. Then a few
minutes later it would reset itself and hum for a few minutes again.

It didn't run "continuously".

get a new sump pump. I don't see how anyone here could have the
original one anymore, but I doubt any replacements had the metal main
pipe.

Why did you replace the pump because the pipe was rusted? It's just a

Because it was a disgusting rurty, wet piece of crud to work on. And
I had to remove it to do anything to it. Might as well replace it.
I'm as thrifty as anyone you know, but I have my limits.

piece of plumbing pipe screwed into the pump. Of course the threads
were likely rusted, but some rust buster or a torch will usually
remove them.

I don't want to go through all that. I think the new pump was only
about 30 dollars (10 years ago.)

Also by cutting the horizontal piece and removing a bit of it, and
rotating the vertical piece a bit, I was able to use the plastic sump
cover that the house came with but which wouldn't fit, and certainly
wouldn't fit and still allow the float to go up and down.

I was very happy with what 30 dollars bought me.

I did save the motor with the switch, the impeller rod, and the
impelller. I've used two motors -- I don't know where I got them --
one to power the cheap belt sander, and one to power my second bench
grinder. (The first one is almost a toy, with a jig saw on the other
end.)

Or you could have put a Fernco coupling on the stub pipe
and some new pipe.

While I hate plastic impellers, PVC pipe is the best. No more rusting
pipe. However, here is a tip. Never lift the pump out of the hole by
the PVC pipe. I did that once and the pipe snapped off at the threaded
adaptor on the end. Was not the biggest problem but it ****ed me off
for my own stupidity, and was a pain to get the broken pvc piece out
of the threads.