Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default basement window well???

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the issue.... I don't think this
project is beyond what I am capable of (at least I hope not). My
impression is drain tile is basically a word for buried
perforated-corrugated plastic pipe (ideally wrapped and then buried in
crushed stone). Is that correct? If I'm in level ground and have this
pipe 6-12 inches underground (running through the bottom of the well),
where does the end empty to?

With the bottom of the window at or just above grade I was going to
have the well extend up about 1/3 of the height of the window (to
ensure run off doesn't get in). I was then going to build up a slight
slope againt the well moving water away.

Again, thanks in advance for your patience... Just trying to learn....

Goedjn wrote:
On 28 Jun 2006 09:37:24 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

That's what I was thinking.... now, if the land is nearly flat and I
dig the well at say 6-12 inches deep and fill party with drainage
stone, where would I put the drain? I assume the bottom. The question
is.... where do I run the drainage pipe to? I don't think I have
enough slope to bury pipe 6+ inches and have it drain above ground. Is
the drainage for water coming in from above (rain) or below (seeping
up). If from above I could add a cover (clear).

To a drywell with 8 to 16' of drain-tile leading out of it.

If you can get enough of a lip to keep runoff from
pouring in, then adding a hinged glass panel,
sort of like a bulkhead door, will preserve your
light and means of egress, while keeping rainfall
out. THen all you need to worry about is seepage
from the sides and up from the bottom.