Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default basement window well???

I have a finished basment that contains a standard-sized basment
window. The problem is this window is right at ground level. Not
thinking it would be a problem I edged out along that side of the house
(took out the grass) and filled the 12 inch strip with bark mulch.
Unforutunately this edging filled with water and washed the mulch away.
There is a VERY slight slope parallel to the window and water to the
left of the window washed down this edged out strip but some pooled up
in the window and got into the finished basement. There was about in
inch of standing water against the window..... not good. Luckily the
window is sealed well and only about the equivalent of a glas of water
got in. The land around the window is pretty much flat, there's a very
slight slope to the left and away, but again the edging provided an
easier path. I have since filled the edged area with dirt and would
like to create more of a slope away from the house. But with the
window is right at ground level how would I do that? I'm thinking of
putting in a window well, allowing me to build up grade against the
house. Does this sound like a decent solution? If I put a well in I
was thinking about digging it about 6 inches below the bottom of the
window (leaving maye 2-3 inches of well wall over the grade) and fill
half or more of that 6 inches with drainage stone. The house does have
a drainage tile/french drain system installed in the basment, emptying
into a sump pump. This is only an issue with VERY heavy rain... it's
only occurred twice during storms that dropped 3+ inches of rain in
less than a day. Looking for any advice/ideas/wisdom you can provide!!