Tony Bryer

Default Building Control system/procedures etc

In article , Imm wrote:
New house near me are being build with the cavities blocked with
cement. The problem is that BCOs don't do their jobs properly.
The building should not move past a certain phase unless
inspected and signed off. the system should be foolproof, as it
is supposed to protect the home owner. It does not. All it
does is protect the developer.

If it's a new house there's more than a fair chance that building
control enforcement is down to the NHBC not the LA. As Capitol
points outs, the BCO's job is not to ensure that the job is done
right, merely to confirm that the work has been done correctly.
Guys on a car production line who let standards slip on the basis
that they'd fix it if the inspector noticed wouldn't last long.

There are also problems of liability: in my BCO days the builder
was obliged (in theory) to give written notice at various stages
of the work, but there was no staged inspection between dpc and
completion. The attitude of my LA was that they would do
'statutory' inspections only partly because of limited staff and
partly so as not to create further potential liabilities by
choosing to make inspections voluntarily. Many of us still chose
to do a roof truss before tiling inspection as that was a source
of more than a few problems.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm