Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg D.

Default Skil XShop?

Hi Tanus,

This product by Skil is aimed at those who don't know much about
woodworking but want to start into the craft with an inexpensive
all-in-one solution. Dream on.

I know this product was available in the province of Quebec in the
Reno-Depot/RONA stores. I didn't see it for a while now and I go
almost every week so I'm only guessing it doesn't sell very well.

After looking at it extensively, I honestly think this product is a
piece of junk and a waste of money.

Unfortunately, the woodworking hobby is all about precision. You don't
have many choices. Either you develop your hand skills and you
eventually achieve precision (takes a lot of practice though) or you
buy good quality tools and you manage to shape your parts precisely
(you will still need some good hand skills for that too).

This Skil all-in-one table saw/router station/drill press/sander will
not be able to reach any acceptable level of precision. Most parts of
it are made of aluminum and plastic which are too flexible. You will
also be limited by the size of the table when manipulating larger
parts.

If your friend wants to start into woodworking, I would suggest him to
find a supervised workshop he can rent by the hour. He would have
access to professional quality tools and wise advices of other
experienced woodworkers around him. He would quickly learn the basics
of woodworking in a safe environment. If he goes through that process,
I bet you he will not buy the Skil XShop.

Hope this helps,

Greg D.

On 27 Jun 2006 04:29:18 +0200, Tanus wrote:

Does anyone know anything about this tool?
http://www.skil.com/Products/Tools/T...ble%20Workshop

or http://tinyurl.com/m5kzg if it got hammered in wrapping.

A friend of mine has very little space and wants to do a few beginner's
projects. He's interested in any feedback that pros or hobbyists have
had with it. Skil US seems to be touting it, but I can't find a listing
for it in Canada, where we are.

Regardless, I'd still be interested in feedback. TIA

Tanus