Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus

Default Skil XShop?

Does anyone know anything about this tool?
http://www.skil.com/Products/Tools/T...ble%20Workshop

or http://tinyurl.com/m5kzg if it got hammered in wrapping.

A friend of mine has very little space and wants to do a few beginner's
projects. He's interested in any feedback that pros or hobbyists have
had with it. Skil US seems to be touting it, but I can't find a listing
for it in Canada, where we are.

Regardless, I'd still be interested in feedback. TIA

Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 27 Jun 2006 04:29:18 +0200, Tanus wrote:

Does anyone know anything about this tool?
http://www.skil.com/Products/Tools/T...ble%20Workshop

or http://tinyurl.com/m5kzg if it got hammered in wrapping.

A friend of mine has very little space and wants to do a few beginner's
projects. He's interested in any feedback that pros or hobbyists have
had with it. Skil US seems to be touting it, but I can't find a listing
for it in Canada, where we are.

Regardless, I'd still be interested in feedback. TIA

It's a pretty tiny table, and as far as I know the only thing of
quality that Skil makes is their circular saws. You would be much
better off getting a better table saw and making or buying a router
table insert to go on the wing. If there isn't room for that then
forget getting a table saw at all and stick with a good circular saw
and straight edge.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg D.

Hi Tanus,

This product by Skil is aimed at those who don't know much about
woodworking but want to start into the craft with an inexpensive
all-in-one solution. Dream on.

I know this product was available in the province of Quebec in the
Reno-Depot/RONA stores. I didn't see it for a while now and I go
almost every week so I'm only guessing it doesn't sell very well.

After looking at it extensively, I honestly think this product is a
piece of junk and a waste of money.

Unfortunately, the woodworking hobby is all about precision. You don't
have many choices. Either you develop your hand skills and you
eventually achieve precision (takes a lot of practice though) or you
buy good quality tools and you manage to shape your parts precisely
(you will still need some good hand skills for that too).

This Skil all-in-one table saw/router station/drill press/sander will
not be able to reach any acceptable level of precision. Most parts of
it are made of aluminum and plastic which are too flexible. You will
also be limited by the size of the table when manipulating larger
parts.

If your friend wants to start into woodworking, I would suggest him to
find a supervised workshop he can rent by the hour. He would have
access to professional quality tools and wise advices of other
experienced woodworkers around him. He would quickly learn the basics
of woodworking in a safe environment. If he goes through that process,
I bet you he will not buy the Skil XShop.

Hope this helps,

Greg D.

On 27 Jun 2006 04:29:18 +0200, Tanus wrote:

Does anyone know anything about this tool?
http://www.skil.com/Products/Tools/T...ble%20Workshop

or http://tinyurl.com/m5kzg if it got hammered in wrapping.

A friend of mine has very little space and wants to do a few beginner's
projects. He's interested in any feedback that pros or hobbyists have
had with it. Skil US seems to be touting it, but I can't find a listing
for it in Canada, where we are.

Regardless, I'd still be interested in feedback. TIA

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus

Greg D. wrote:
[...]

Thanks Greg. I too, am in Quebec, but haven't seen them in Reno Depot.
I"m in the Gatineau Hills BTW.

In looking at the table on the website, I figured the drill press was
the weakest part of the ensemble, but the other parts might have served
him for his purposes. I doubt that he's serious about getting into the
hobby in a big way, and this might have gotten him through a few
projects till he moved on to something else.

I agree that precision is paramount, and I wasn't interested in the
table for that reason. But since it's not available in Canada at all
anymore, it's a moot point. I also see that even Lowes doesn't link to
it directly.

It's funny tho. Years ago when I had the room, I figured I could get by
on the cheap, because any tool is a tool, right? Now, I'm very tightly
limited in space, and have no desire to fill what little space I have
with junk that will **** me off, ruin my concentration and ultimately
give me lousy results.

Tanus

Skil router problem Alfred Loizeaux Home Repair 16 December 17th 05 05:17 PM
Skil router, Bosch table base? Jim in PA Woodworking 3 September 1st 05 12:40 PM
FS-NEW Skil XShop (New Mexico) BarbMoore Woodworking 0 August 15th 05 09:07 PM
Old Skil sander belt size? ToolMiser Woodworking 5 January 23rd 05 03:51 PM
skil router Ah10201 Woodworking 4 February 29th 04 06:39 PM