Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sheila

Default Adjustable length rail to help old folks climb out of bath?

1. The attachment of the strap/seat could become detached accidentally
2. In the up position the machine stays '0n' instead of being
responsive to the 'dead mans handle' type operating switch. This can
pull enough to bend and eventually break the sides of a plastic bath,
if it doesn't pull the strap from the floor or the machine off the
wall. You can switch it off but my mother tended not to notice this due
to poor eyesight. The intention of staying 'on' is apparently to
maintain tension and stability in the seat. I disabled this function by
removing the switch bar.
3 She twice got trapped in it - luckily not in the up and 'on' position
which could break a bone. I don't know how she got caught - it may be
because of the tilting action of the lift - i.e. it turns you away from
the machine as it goes up.
In other words completely unsuitable for use un-attended - and even
then has hazards. I'm embarassed that I left it so long before
scrapping it.
They may of course have improved the design in the meantime - this was
about 6 years ago.
She now has an inflatable seat device free from social services which
is much better.

cheers
Jacob
PS and social services didn't approve of the "Bathknight" it's excluded
from their recommended list.

thanks very much for that information, I will show that to her, I'm sure she
will be interested!