Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Haines

Default Adjustable length rail to help old folks climb out of bath?

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.
--
Bill Haines
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:44:58 +0100, Bill Haines wrote:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.

Can't you get such aids ready made for the purpose .....?

If you cant find on-line then your local Social Services/Social Work Dept will
be able to tell you or an organistaion like Age Concern..
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander

"Bill Haines" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.

Hopefully someone will come up with exactly what you need but a couple of
pragmatic sugestions using more readily available grab rails. Option (1)
fit a surface batten between studs and fix the rail to the batten. Option
(2) fit a grab rail vertically to a stud. That has an advantage of
accomodating change of height as a user gets out the bath. Grip strength
might influence you. The Screwfix rails seem to be white but I previously
got chrome, can't remember where, possibly BES?

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

[...]

==========================
Look here - you might find exactly what you need: http://www.keepable.co.uk/

If you do need to make your own version you could use heavy duty wardrobe
hanging rails, but I would suggest that you try to get something less slippy
than chrome.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Bill Haines contains these words:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail?

We've been using Ikea's towel rail for years here. I forget what silly
name it has, but it looks just like a hand rail - all industrial except
white painted.

Failing that, the big B&Q "Depot" stores had 'em last time I looked, but
they were expensive.

Or there's eBay - search for "grab rail" under Mobility, Disability and
Medical.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
normanwisdom

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Bill Haines contains these words:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail?

Yes social services may supply and fit free - they do for my mum and
lots of other stuff. DONT buy a "Bathknight" bath lift as they are crap
and potentially dangerous. S services will advise you.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Haines

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:50:04 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:44:58 +0100, Bill Haines wrote:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.

Can't you get such aids ready made for the purpose .....?

If you cant find on-line then your local Social Services/Social Work Dept will
be able to tell you or an organistaion like Age Concern..
Stuart

I know what you suggest is the most sensible and appropriate course
of action. My intentions here may indicate a certain over-sensitivity
but I want to provide some help without overtly catering for
"incapacity".
A sturdy chrome rail could be there nominally to provide a place to
hang a rubber shower mat and just by coincidence happen to be in the
right place to make the bracket grabable at specific points of entry
and exit, maybe postponing the fall that pride is said to go before.
--
Bill Haines
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Haines

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:06:23 GMT, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"Bill Haines" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen some chrome rail and fittings at
Screwfix but the rail diameter is 19mm which seems a little slender
for my purposes.

--
Bill Haines
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Haines

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:21:12 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

==========================
Look here - you might find exactly what you need: http://www.keepable.co.uk/

If you do need to make your own version you could use heavy duty wardrobe
hanging rails, but I would suggest that you try to get something less slippy
than chrome.

Cic.

Thanks I'll have a look for the heavy duty wardrobe fittings which I
hope will be chunkier than the 19mm diameter rails I've seen so far.
--
Bill Haines

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Bill Haines wrote:
Stuart wrote:
If you cant find on-line then your local Social Services/Social Work Dept will
be able to tell you or an organistaion like Age Concern..

I know what you suggest is the most sensible and appropriate course
of action. My intentions here may indicate a certain over-sensitivity
but I want to provide some help without overtly catering for
"incapacity".

Ah! Well Done, Mr. Haines. Certain people close to you *may* smell
a rat, but a good idea anyway! Stainless (stair) handrail and
fittings?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoff Beale

Bill Haines wrote:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.
--
Bill Haines

B&Q used to supply 40mm stainless steel "D" shaped rails that looked
like fat towel rails. They were not adjustable but there was a rang of
lengths available. The larger B&Qs may still do them.

--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave

"Geoff Beale" wrote in message
Bill Haines wrote:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.
--
Bill Haines

B&Q used to supply 40mm stainless steel "D" shaped rails that looked
like fat towel rails. They were not adjustable but there was a rang of
lengths available. The larger B&Qs may still do them.

--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email.

try
http://www.activemobility.co.uk/shop...4 4430bd10746
they supply coloured plastic ones which I can recommend. I have them fitted
by the front door, the back door and white ones in the bathroom.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:44:58 +0100, Bill Haines
had this to say:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.

If you get a rail longer than 16" or whatever the stud spacing is, you
could mount it at an angle, which may also help Dad to manage the
bath.

B&Q have a range of suitable rails. A simple towel rail is unlikely to
have sufficient strength to support an adult getting out of a bath. A
proper grab rail will have a textured finish too, which makes it
easier to "hold on".

Of course, some baths have a built-in grab rail, if you don't mind a
bit more effort and expense :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bill Haines" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Had another idea which addresses your desire to fix to studs, industrial
barrier tube plus fittings. Can visualise this exactly, unfortunately
couldn't find an obvious link when I looked.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sheila

"normanwisdom" wrote in message
ups.com...

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Bill Haines contains these words:

Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail?

Yes social services may supply and fit free - they do for my mum and
lots of other stuff. DONT buy a "Bathknight" bath lift as they are crap
and potentially dangerous. S services will advise you.

cheers
Jacob

could you specify the danger? a friend of mine has one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:44:58 +0100, Bill Haines wrote:
|
|Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
|type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
|bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
|getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
|studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
|length.
|
|Can't you get such aids ready made for the purpose .....?
|
|If you cant find on-line then your local Social Services/Social Work Dept will
|be able to tell you or an organistaion like Age Concern..
|Stuart

Our Social Services provided one free when we had an old person staying for
a few weeks. Hand rails by doors and steps are also free, in England and
probably the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|"Bill Haines" wrote in message
. ..
| Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
| type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
| bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
| getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
| studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
| length.
|
|Hopefully someone will come up with exactly what you need but a couple of
|pragmatic sugestions using more readily available grab rails. Option (1)
|fit a surface batten between studs and fix the rail to the batten. Option
|(2) fit a grab rail vertically to a stud. That has an advantage of
|accomodating change of height as a user gets out the bath. Grip strength
|might influence you. The Screwfix rails seem to be white but I previously
|got chrome, can't remember where, possibly BES?
|
|Jim A
|
|Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen some chrome rail and fittings at
|Screwfix but the rail diameter is 19mm which seems a little slender
|for my purposes.

Even disabled people are heavy and can apply a lot of force.
Test whatever you do with your *full* weight, before allowing your dad to
use it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
normanwisdom

Yes social services may supply and fit free - they do for my mum and
lots of other stuff. DONT buy a "Bathknight" bath lift as they are crap
and potentially dangerous. S services will advise you.

cheers
Jacob

could you specify the danger? a friend of mine has one.

1. The attachment of the strap/seat could become detached accidentally
2. In the up position the machine stays '0n' instead of being
responsive to the 'dead mans handle' type operating switch. This can
pull enough to bend and eventually break the sides of a plastic bath,
if it doesn't pull the strap from the floor or the machine off the
wall. You can switch it off but my mother tended not to notice this due
to poor eyesight. The intention of staying 'on' is apparently to
maintain tension and stability in the seat. I disabled this function by
removing the switch bar.
3 She twice got trapped in it - luckily not in the up and 'on' position
which could break a bone. I don't know how she got caught - it may be
because of the tilting action of the lift - i.e. it turns you away from
the machine as it goes up.
In other words completely unsuitable for use un-attended - and even
then has hazards. I'm embarassed that I left it so long before
scrapping it.
They may of course have improved the design in the meantime - this was
about 6 years ago.
She now has an inflatable seat device free from social services which
is much better.

cheers
Jacob
PS and social services didn't approve of the "Bathknight" it's excluded
from their recommended list.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Bill Haines" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.
--
Bill Haines

Whilst visiting a tap (kitchen, baths and basin) shop, I noticed that they
were displaying an extensive range of attractive looking grab rails. The
grab rails were _not_ the unattractive white 'Council-supplied' format.

Visit a decent supplier, you may find exactly what you _need_ (not what you
think you require).

HTH

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Frank Erskine contains these words:

A simple towel rail is unlikely to
have sufficient strength to support an adult getting out of a bath.

The Ikea ones support me, and have done for five years - and I'm over 20
stone.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "normanwisdom" contains these words:

PS and social services didn't approve of the "Bathknight" it's excluded
from their recommended list.

I'm not surprised. I fitted one for an elderly relative once 'cos it was
given to her. Took it out again a few weeks later as it suffered from
exactly the problems you describe.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sheila

[...]

thanks very much for that information, I will show that to her, I'm sure she
will be interested!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Owain contains these words:

Occupational Therapist should mark the correct position so that when
elderly person uses rail, they are less likely to suffer injury.

Except of course when they cock it up so badly that it's of no use to
man nor beast because the victim can't actually reach that far in the
first place.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Guy King typed

The message
from Frank Erskine contains these words:

A simple towel rail is unlikely to
have sufficient strength to support an adult getting out of a bath.

The Ikea ones support me, and have done for five years - and I'm over 20
stone.

I'm sure you fitted them competently too.

Incompetent fitting will reduce the strength of anything.

(She whose curtain rails have stayed up where two previous residents'
attempts failed)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Guy King typed

The message
from Owain contains these words:

Occupational Therapist should mark the correct position so that when
elderly person uses rail, they are less likely to suffer injury.

Except of course when they cock it up so badly that it's of no use to
man nor beast because the victim can't actually reach that far in the
first place.

Or handyman from SS splits door jamb...

SS put grab rail inside late aunt's loo; very useful it was - prevented
anyone closing loo door...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Bill Haines" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.
--
Bill Haines

Any good? Not adjustable but different lengths and shapes so may be OK if
positioned at different angles etc.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Or handyman from SS splits door jamb...

SS put grab rail inside late aunt's loo; very useful it was - prevented
anyone closing loo door...

I'm sure they /mean/ well.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Guy King typed

The message
from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Or handyman from SS splits door jamb...

SS put grab rail inside late aunt's loo; very useful it was - prevented
anyone closing loo door...

I'm sure they /mean/ well.

Well meaning _idiocy_.

SPARE ME PLEASE before I have a nervous breakdown!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Owain typed

Guy King wrote:
SS put grab rail inside late aunt's loo; very useful it was - prevented
anyone closing loo door...

I'm sure they /mean/ well.

Stops auntie locking herself in ...

Owain

Stopped anyone shy using separate bog.

Flat had a bathroom with loo and a separate bog.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Owain contains these words:

SS put grab rail inside late aunt's loo; very useful it was - prevented
anyone closing loo door...

I'm sure they /mean/ well.

Stops auntie locking herself in ...

All the lockable doors inside this house can be opened with a penny from
outside - there's no need for more privacy than that, really, and it's
saved a fuss several times.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Haines

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:11:54 +0100, "John"
wrote:

"Bill Haines" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone please tell me of suppliers who sell the simple, unheated
type of chrome towel rail? I want to put one on the wall over the
bath, to provide something solid for my Dad to hang on to when he's
getting in and out of the bath. I'll need to screw it firmly to the
studs in the partition wall, hence the need for adjustable rail
length.
--
Bill Haines

Any good? Not adjustable but different lengths and shapes so may be OK if
positioned at different angles etc.

HTH

John

Yes, thanks I got one of those.