Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remodel Question

Amy L wrote:
I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be started
with an architect?

Amy

The suggestion to do rough sketches is a good one.
Drawings of existing conditions to the nearest inch would be a good
place to start.
Do overlays of different schemes to see what kind of changes are
required.
Enlarging rooms and moving fixtures produces a ripple effect in other
spaces.
Once you feel comfortable with the rough arrangements, I'd find someone
to check them.
A building inspector might tell you if have an illegal arrangement.
That's free.
A contractor with experience and knowledge can tell you if you have
technical problems. He might want a fee or a contract to do the work.
An architect should be able to make suggestions about the arrangement
and work out the details.
The first meeting is probably free, and then there will be fees.
TB