Posted to alt.home.repair
Amy L

Default Remodel Question

I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be started
with an architect?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Amy L wrote:
I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be started
with an architect?

Amy

I would start with some rough sketches of existing and proposed and
talk to the local building inspector. That will be free and could save
you a lot of money down the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RayV wrote:
Amy L wrote:
I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be started
with an architect?

Amy

I would start with some rough sketches of existing and proposed and
talk to the local building inspector. That will be free and could save
you a lot of money down the road.

What information do you expect the O.P. to gain from the inspector?
Building department in my town would ask for completed drawings.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

wrote:
RayV wrote:
Amy L wrote:
I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be started
with an architect?

Amy

I would start with some rough sketches of existing and proposed and
talk to the local building inspector. That will be free and could save
you a lot of money down the road.

What information do you expect the O.P. to gain from the inspector?
Building department in my town would ask for completed drawings.
TB

Sure they want completed drawings to issue a permit but if you can
clearly explain what your plan is the inspector may tell you that can't
be done. A lot better to find out before you hire an architect to draw
up plans that you have to throw away.

An experienced inspector may also be able to give you insight on
potential problems espescially if your house is part of a development
where many houses are the same as yours.

You're going to have to deal with the inspector anyway, better to find
out what they are concerned about before you start shelling out money
to pros that have no idea what the inspector is going to want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Amy L wrote:
I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be started
with an architect?

Amy

The suggestion to do rough sketches is a good one.
Drawings of existing conditions to the nearest inch would be a good
place to start.
Do overlays of different schemes to see what kind of changes are
required.
Enlarging rooms and moving fixtures produces a ripple effect in other
spaces.
Once you feel comfortable with the rough arrangements, I'd find someone
to check them.
A building inspector might tell you if have an illegal arrangement.
That's free.
A contractor with experience and knowledge can tell you if you have
technical problems. He might want a fee or a contract to do the work.
An architect should be able to make suggestions about the arrangement
and work out the details.
The first meeting is probably free, and then there will be fees.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

In addition to the previous reply, all that talking to the building
inspector would prove is to make him aware you're doing modifications. Best
they be left OUT of the loop.

--
Steve

"RayV" wrote in message
s.com...

Amy L wrote:
I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the
tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a
remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be
started
with an architect?

Amy

I would start with some rough sketches of existing and proposed and
talk to the local building inspector. That will be free and could save
you a lot of money down the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

Wrong.

--
Steve

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
You're going to have to deal with the inspector anyway,

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Amy L" wrote in message
I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be
started with an architect?

Amy

Since it dosen't sound like you want to go the DIY route. I would start with
companies listed specifically as kitchen and bathroom remodeling
contractors. Second I would go to kitchen and bath showrooms and ask for
refferals or maybe they have a contractor bulletinboard with cards tacked on
it. Also check the ads in the local design magazine (see waiting room at
the showroom).

Don't be surprised if they want a fee to measure your space as part of
quoting. Some may charge some may not.

If you wanted to do anything to make it easier for them to quote, you might
start by figuring out where the plumbing is inside the walls. Aside from
moving walls and the obvious expense of the finish materials (which can vary
wildly in $), replumbing will be the most technical and expensive single
part of the project so knowing what you have before you open the wall could
make the estimate more relaible.

It is also very likely that you will need to upgrade your breaker box if you
cannot get AFCI breakers for it or if you end up needing more slots than you
currently have. If you have a modern home with 200A then you are probably
OK there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Amy L" wrote in message
I am looking to remodel both my kitchen and bathroom. For both of these
rooms we anticipate some major renovations. The bathroom will be more
complicated as we intend to make the room larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start? Is this something that a remodeling
company would help design or is this something that would need to be
started with an architect?

Amy

You should start buy coming up with some ideas on your own. Write down what
you don't like about the rooms and what you don't want. Then maybe go to
some model homes and get ideas Even take some pictures. Home remodel shows
have a lot to offer. Then when all you leg work is done then call a
Architect or a home designer ( I believe there cheaper) Or you can find a
contractor you like they work with architects and designers. The main thing
is take your time, most important any one you hire make sure you feel
comfortable with them. A always check Insurance, License, Workman's comp.
And most of all your going to spend more than you thought, But get what you
want don't cut corners it your house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

The bathroom will be more complicated as we intend to make the room
larger and moving the tub/toilet
to different locations than their current locations. For this type of
remodeling where do you usually start?

Start by making sure you have another functioning bathroom to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Steve Barker LT wrote:
In addition to the previous reply, all that talking to the building
inspector would prove is to make him aware you're doing modifications. Best
they be left OUT of the loop.

--
Steve

Steve, are you suggesting that building permits are unnecessary and
should be skipped altogether?

I guess that is OK if you can absolutely guarantee that nobody will see
the contractors and delivery trucks at your house. Maybe the
deliveries can be made in the middle of the night. I suppose the
contractors could also park in the OP's underground parking lot. The
OP's insurance company will also not care if the unpermitted work
causes damage to the home, they'll just happily pay the claim. When
the town does find out I'm sure they'll understand and won't
assess back taxes or fines. They like it when people ignore the law to
save $100 permit fee on a $20,000 remodel job.

Great advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

In remodeling, yes. If a person wants to remodel an old house, then he has
to bring the electrical and plumbing up to code. Perhaps he's not even
touching the electrical or pluming but would be required to completely
rewire and such. I'll pass

--
Steve
"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve Barker LT wrote:
In addition to the previous reply, all that talking to the building
inspector would prove is to make him aware you're doing modifications.
Best
they be left OUT of the loop.

--
Steve

Steve, are you suggesting that building permits are unnecessary and
should be skipped altogether?

Remodel or sell--how to decide? (long) Lauri Home Repair 20 January 11th 06 10:18 PM
Remodel or sell--how to decide? (long) Lauri Home Ownership 20 January 11th 06 10:18 PM
To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 06:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 06:22 PM