Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dani

Default Sony CD Changer Problems

Quite likely the laser part # A3328818A, KSM 213 BFN/C2NP that's the
laser, with spindle motor & sled motor complete. It's about $ 56.00 US
retail, plus shipping & taxes,just for the part. It could cost you
close to
the price you qouted, unless you have a pal in the business. If it's
bad,
it's just as well to replace the whole laser mechanism...& it IS worth
repairing,as long as it's in good condition! Did you clean it
properly?
Dani.

goodguy wrote:
Okay, I'll add my two cents to the older posts...I have started having
problems with my Sony CDP CX355 ("Mega Storage 300 CD). It was playing
fine up until a couple of weeks ago, UNTIL: it began playing a disc,
then jumping around on the disc, and then skipping to the next
disc...same thing would happen. Sounds like this is a very common
issue. I cleaned all the discs, even tried brand new ones.
Ironically, this problem started happening two weeks after the end of
the 1-year warranty (Sony must really know what it's doing :-(
Anyway, called a local authorized dealer and one I found online and
both said that it isn't worth fixing (I paid $180 for it, new.) I
can't believe that this is a throw-away. Some of what I've been able
to learn online is that dust and dirt can cause some of these issues.
Problem is, I don't know what I need to clean. I hear laser pickup
and objective lens and tracker, and mirror, but I am not sure where
these are located, let alone how to clean. I suspect the problem is
dust, because the house is dusty, but I need some good counsel here.
Please give me some suggestions if you can help a neophyte fix this! I
hate throwing more money at this.
John