Posted to rec.woodworking
Baron

Default Help - Removing "musty" smell from dresser drawers

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
news:6_udnTxoD_2EKQDZnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me

when
I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental

value,
I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out

of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Rob

Hello Rob,

Wipe down the inside of the entire piece, drawers and carcass, with a
mouthwash like Listerine. The thymol will kill any remaining mold, etc.
This is typically enough to remove the odor. If not, once dry, place it out
in the sun and fresh air for a day or two. It is very important that the
mouthwash be totally evaporated before placing it in the sun or warping /
cupping could occur. If there is still an odor after all this, seal the
inside of the entire piece with shellac. Sand the inside very lightly after
shellacking. This will prevent any roughness from the wood from catching
any clothes stored in the drawers.

Good Luck.