Old June 24th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Rob McConachie

Default Help - Removing "musty" smell from dresser drawers

Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me when
I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental value,
I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Rob

Old June 25th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected]

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

Sounds like mildew. Spray white vinager inside and around the
outside of the drawers. With the drawers out, spray vinager inside
the case. Leave it in the garage for a day. Not too heavy a spray.
Alternatively, wipe it down with a damp vinager sponge.

Lysol might also do the job and there has to be commercially available
mousemilk products at the hardware stores.
Old June 25th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Rob McConachie wrote:
Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

Rent an ozone generator.

Place piece in the garage next to generator, then tent the whole thing
with some plastic sheeting secured with some weights.

Couple of days should do it.

A couple of caveats.

Ozone attacks rubber and is hell on your breathing.

Plan accordingly.

Lew
Old June 25th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

If you have no success getting the smell out, then you can try sealing
it in. I've has good results with a single coat of shellac. Be sure to
seal all unfinished surfaces of all drawers and the carcass.

Art

news:[email protected] .com...

Old June 25th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me
when I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental
value, I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out
of the dresser, I would appreciate it.

Well... when I was checking out original Shaker chests of drawers pretty
much every one of them smelled like moth balls... If you put moth balls in
the chest you could "sell" that as a historical feature. ;~)

John

Old June 25th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Arvid

First thing i would do would be to put the drawers outside in the sunlight
for a day or two(finished side in the shade) Fresh air and sunlight will do
wonders to remove odors, If that don't work try a light wash with water and
bleachd then when dry you can seal it all as others have suggested.
ink.net...

Old June 25th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Arvid wrote:
First thing i would do would be to put the drawers outside in the sunlight
for a day or two(finished side in the shade) Fresh air and sunlight will do
wonders to remove odors, If that don't work try a light wash with water and

I was going to say the same thing - if it's mildew/mold/some type of
fungus causing the musty smell, a bright, sunny, dry day is a great
treatment. I lived in the rain forest in Belize for a few months, and
in the constand humidity, everything that wasn't in constant use would
grow mold (clothing, luggage, pillows, etc). Best cure was to set
everything out in the sunlight for a day.
If it's not mold causing the mustiness, try aromatic cedar - drawer
liners? Maybe a thorough vaccuuming would help with built-up dust
also.
Good luck,
Andy

Old June 25th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

Mist spraying hydrogen peroxide does seem to have some effect in
getting rid of musty odors in old cabinets.

Antique dealers routinely use newspaper. Crumpled up and stuffed
inside, for a few weeks, eliminates those old smells. Why newspaper
works, I have no idea, but apparently it does.

Sonny

Old June 25th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out

of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

Along with the other suggestions, and after you've aired the drawer out,
leave a brand new bar of your favorite soap in a sock in the drawer at all
times, or a sheet of fabric softener.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Old June 25th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:52:32 -0400, "Rob McConachie"
wrote:

Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me when
I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental value,
I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Rob

Place the drawers outside in full sun for several hours. Avoid
putting the drawers on damp ground or grass as this may cause them to
warp or crack. If the drawers still stink, you can use a spit coat
of shellac on the inside.

Another idea is to put a bowl of vinegar inside each drawer for a day.
Be careful not to spill the vinegar.