Posted to rec.woodworking
Jane & David

Default Help - Removing "musty" smell from dresser drawers

In article ,
"Arvid" wrote:

First thing i would do would be to put the drawers outside in the sunlight
for a day or two(finished side in the shade) Fresh air and sunlight will do
wonders to remove odors, If that don't work try a light wash with water and
bleachd then when dry you can seal it all as others have suggested.

The sun has worked for me too with musical instrument cases. I bought a
1920 saxophone in beautiful shape, but the smell of the case made my
eyes water. Most old cases smell but this one was really something
special (think ancient locker room mixed with a hint of outhouse).

I sprayed the hell out of it with Fabreez (?) and aired it in the sun.
This case took several days of spraying and sunning, after which the
locker room smell was gone but was replaced by the strong smell of the
Fabreez (which by this time was no longer a pleasant smell). It took a
week or so for the damn Fabreez smell to go away but the case has been
OK for years. It might have worked to just use the sun, but here in
western Oregon, we don't always know when we'll see the sun next.

PDX David