Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

Default Stain or Seal New Deck?

On 23 Jun 2006 12:41:50 -0700, "Squanklin"
wrote:

I have a new house with a deck that's been sitting in the sun for about
7 months. It needs treatment desperately. Is it beter to stain (our
preference is a semi-transparent color) or seal the raw wood with
something like Thompson's water seal?

I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

Thanks!

The semi-transparent stain will protect from UV rays better than any
clear water seal, plus the stain will last a lot longer. Cabot
Decking stain is a good choice, in a dozen colors, about $30 a gallon,
and their website will tell you where you can purchase it locally.
When you stain, coat the end-grain well. You will need to re-stain
every 3-5 years.

Thompson's seal is poor with long-term protection, although better
than nothing at all.