Posted to alt.home.repair
Squanklin

Default Stain or Seal New Deck?

I have a new house with a deck that's been sitting in the sun for about
7 months. It needs treatment desperately. Is it beter to stain (our
preference is a semi-transparent color) or seal the raw wood with
something like Thompson's water seal?

I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Squanklin wrote:
I have a new house with a deck that's been sitting in the sun for
about 7 months. It needs treatment desperately. Is it beter to
stain (our preference is a semi-transparent color) or seal the raw
wood with something like Thompson's water seal?

Go to your local library and read the recent Consumers Report issue on
deck treatments.

Hint:
DO NOT use Thompson's Water Seal!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

Squanklin wrote:
I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

If you seal you will no longer be able to stain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stain doesn't really protect wood. You would still have to seal it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Squanklin wrote:
Thanks. Do you remember the month it appeared?

July 2006. Here's a quick highlight.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...07_eng_dec.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Lawrence" wrote in message
If you seal you will no longer be able to stain.

Solid stain will not be a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Squanklin" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a new house with a deck that's been sitting in the sun for about
7 months. It needs treatment desperately. Is it beter to stain (our
preference is a semi-transparent color) or seal the raw wood with
something like Thompson's water seal?

I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

Thanks!

What is the deck made of? For woods like mahogany, ipe, cypress, etc, I'd
use Penofin oil. If it is pressure treated, I'd use some sort of colored
stain

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Lawrence wrote:
Squanklin wrote:
I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

If you seal you will no longer be able to stain.

Who told you that?

Read the following link:

http://www.wrcea.org/cedar-products/...s/overview.htm

"If there is uncertainty over whether to use a water-repellent
preservative or a stain, first apply a water-repellent preservative. It
is possible to switch to a semi-transparent stain when the deck needs
to be refinished. Even if the deck has been maintained with a
water-repellent preservative for many years, an oil-based
semi-transparent stain will perform satisfactorily."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Squanklin wrote:
I have a new house with a deck that's been sitting in the sun for about
7 months. It needs treatment desperately.

The deck is 7 months old and it "needs treatment desperately" ???

What is it made of, cardboard?

Seriously, if your deck is desperate after only 7 months I'd be
concerned about the quality of the wood.

Is it beter to stain (our
preference is a semi-transparent color) or seal the raw wood with
something like Thompson's water seal?

I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

http://www.wrcea.org/cedar-products/...s/overview.htm

"If there is uncertainty over whether to use a water-repellent
preservative or a stain, first apply a water-repellent preservative. It
is possible to switch to a semi-transparent stain when the deck needs
to be refinished. Even if the deck has been maintained with a
water-repellent preservative for many years, an oil-based
semi-transparent stain will perform satisfactorily."

Posted to alt.home.repair
edee em

Not having new wood not treated for the first part of its life, if I recall
correctly, is actually a good thing. Don't forget to hit it with the sander
first ((I'm assuming it's not pressure treated) to open up the pores.

I've had considerable success with Sikkens Cetol 1-2-3. Lasts more than one
year and touch ups are only a one coat affair over what is there.

Good luck

My two cents: As I get older, the deck is going to be ripped out and
replaced with a stone patio. When I think back over all the work done to
try and keep the deck looking good, I shudder and get a little older!!

"Squanklin" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a new house with a deck that's been sitting in the sun for about
7 months. It needs treatment desperately. Is it beter to stain (our
preference is a semi-transparent color) or seal the raw wood with
something like Thompson's water seal?

I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

edee em wrote:
Not having new wood not treated for the first part of its life, if I recall
correctly, is actually a good thing.

That used to be the conventional wisdom. But it seems that advice has
changed in recent years, at least according to some of the on-line
home-improvement websites.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On 23 Jun 2006 12:41:50 -0700, "Squanklin"
wrote:

I have a new house with a deck that's been sitting in the sun for about
7 months. It needs treatment desperately. Is it beter to stain (our
preference is a semi-transparent color) or seal the raw wood with
something like Thompson's water seal?

I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

Thanks!

The semi-transparent stain will protect from UV rays better than any
clear water seal, plus the stain will last a lot longer. Cabot
Decking stain is a good choice, in a dozen colors, about $30 a gallon,
and their website will tell you where you can purchase it locally.
When you stain, coat the end-grain well. You will need to re-stain
every 3-5 years.

Thompson's seal is poor with long-term protection, although better
than nothing at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On 23 Jun 2006 13:08:11 -0700, wrote:

Stain doesn't really protect wood. You would still have to seal it.

I disagree, any decent decking stain will seal. I used Cabot Decking
stain and my deck is going on 15 years, looks good, no rotten boards
yet!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 00:42:32 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Squanklin wrote:
Thanks. Do you remember the month it appeared?

July 2006. Here's a quick highlight.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...07_eng_dec.htm

Quoting from that article:

quote
For homeowners interested in having the most natural look, CR deemed
the clear Olympic WaterGuard 55560, a latex that cleans up with water,
as the best and only choice.
/quote

Does anyone know if this product is still available, and if so, where?
I can't find it at the local Lowes, and
http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/olympic/ext.../overview.html doesn't
list it by this name.

I saw this problem the last time CR looked at deck treaments a few
years back. All the highly rated finishes had been replaced, or
reformulated, in the 3 years it took CR to do the real-life testing.

Terry
Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Terry wrote:
Does anyone know if this product is still available, and if so, where?
I can't find it at the local Lowes, and
http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/olympic/ext.../overview.html doesn't
list it by this name.

I think PPG has only one 'WaterGuard' wood sealant product.

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/locator/locator1.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Terry wrote:
Does anyone know if this product is still available, and if so, where?
I can't find it at the local Lowes, and
http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/olympic/ext.../overview.html doesn't
list it by this name.

I think PPG has only one 'WaterGuard' wood sealant product.

The page I reference above shows one product named "WaterGuard Wood",
but shows 4 products that contain "WaterGuard protection". None of
them are called "WaterGuard 55560", which is what CR references.

Even if they did only have 1 product, that doesn't mean it's the same
product CR tested. Companies change their product lines all the time.

Terry