Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Coaxial cable and phone wire installation

On 24 Jun 2006 11:20:10 -0700, "
wrote:

with our Dish DVR it doesnt matter when the show is on, or what time it
gets moved too.

Or even what channel it's on, if set up properly on a DVR that
supports it. I don't know about Dish, but ReplayTV calls that feature
"theme channels" and TiVo calls it "wishlists".

the receiver automatically looks for the name and
adjusts itself.

Yes. Automatic channel selection on the receiver, is a necessary part
of what a DVR does.

shows magically appear on a list of available ones.

I wouldn't use the word "magically"*, but yes.

A hour of prime time shows is 15 minutes of commercials which we skip.

Approximately, on most channels. A PBS show is closer to 55 minutes
per hour.

while a interesting scene or dirsurbance we can skip back and watch it
again. dogs barrked, phone rang neigbor stopped by.

Also, TV shows and movies often involve things (signs, maps,...) you
could read if you got to look at them long enough. You can actually
read the wordy introductions to some movies.

BTW, I actually wished for something that would do that, for years
before DVRs existed.

DVR is THE BEST device we ever added here!

Yes. I've had one since 1999 and would NOT want to have to live
without one. About the only time I watch TV without a DVR now is when
I'm on the phone (or in a chat room) where people are discussing the
show in real time.

&&&

* - many times, "magic" (NOT referring to stage magic but the "real"
thing), and it's synonym "supernatural" are often used as excuses
rather than explanations. The words have little or no meaning
otherwise.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com