Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

Default Gas water heater and home inspection

"HeyBub" wrote in message
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second
floor, is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this
fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next
week (June 28).

Rebecca

Huh? The purpose of the 18" requirement is to minimize the ignition of
heavier-than-air hazardous fumes -- such as gasoline or natural gas -- by
the flames from a gas water heater. Now assuming someone refuels their

lawn
mower in an upstairs bedroom, wouldn't the fumes travel down the stairs
before reaching the water heater?

DING-DING-DING-DING, we have a winner! The reason for a WH stand is to
keep the pilot (which is at the BOTTOM of the WH) above any gas vapors.
This elevation will prevent ignition of said vapors. Look at a furnace, the
flames are usually about 12-18 inches up.

Your inspector is not the sharpest tack in the box, you ask me.

DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING, we REALLY have a winner! most home
inspectors don't have a clue why the 'rules' are the way they are. The
inspector just fills out a form and collects money.