Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

Default Coaxial cable and phone wire installation

Since labor is likely to take the lion's share of your money, I'd
seriously consider having an electrician take a look at your house and
see what it would take to install grounded sockets, perhaps upgrade the
service and add circuits where needed. Then the cost of doing the
signal wiring at the same time will be minimized. I'd worry more about
the electrical than the data.

Crabshell wrote:
This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but here goes. I need to
wire the house for cable (TV). This is a peer and beam house with
limited attic space -- an attic install would require a hearty, short
person with a tolerance for blown insulation.

Questions:

1) The cable TV installer said he couldn't do the job under the house
because he needed some sort of right angle drill bit. He said I should
call an electrician. What's that all about?

2) I figure I should run CAT 5 cable along side the coax at the same time
to be proactive. Can they coexist side by side without interference?

3) Is it cool to run the lines straight under the house from point A to
point B or should they snake around the perimeter, walls and beams to stay
out of the way? (I like to do things the right way if it doesn't double
the cost.)

4) My house has no ground wires running to fixtures or outlets. Should
this be done at the same time or is that a whole other mess to deal with
later?

Thanks in advance,
Crabshell