Posted to alt.home.repair
crabshell

Default Coaxial cable and phone wire installation

"Colbyt" wrote in
m:

"crabshell" wrote in message
"PipeDown" wrote in
news What the heck does a cable amplifier do? I figured I'd need a cable
box in
every room I want to watch TV in.

I figured I would run a single cable from the entry point into the
home to a single location in each room. Do I need something more
than that?

If I want cable internet some day vs dsl should I do a double coax
run to at least one room and run the wireless connection from there?
I can't see needing a home network where every room is on ethernet,
but now that I think about it, I guess having a double coax run in
every room along with cat 5 allows me the freedom to set up the
network hub anywhere in the house, right? Ir is there some other
reason for this? I feel like this is
going to be overkill at some piont but again I'd like to do it right.
Besides, if I run ethernet throughout the house it still all has to
meet at
a central location -- wherever that is.

Properly installed coax runs normally do not need an amplifier unless
there are more than 5 outlets per house. That number may vary from
different providers based on the signal they push down the wire.
Generally the cable company will sell and install an approved unit at
a nominal cost if you need one. It is normally ageist their TOS for
you to install an unapproved amplifier on their system.

Running the second cable to one room or a closet might be a good
choice since you have no basement. If you have enough wire and want to
run it to more than one room.that is okay also. The internet
connection is split off the main line at the entry point and it and
the TV signals travel separate lines.

The last time I bought this stuff, 11-04, I bought 1000 feet of cat5
and 500 feet of coax for $130 including tax. Overall wire is higher
now but there is not a lot of copper in either of these. I completely
did a small house and have enough left over for a couple of more. What
I am saying is that if you buy it right, it may not matter how much
you use. The labor is virtually the same either way.

Colbyt

The labor issue is a big concern. I was sort of assuming the variable
expense would be in the materials more than the labor. I assume that
running 2 lines from point A to point B vs. 1 costs about the same.
Meaning I need to plan this well so I don't have to have more lines run
down the road -- thus my inquiries.