Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Default Stain or Seal New Deck?

Lawrence wrote:
Squanklin wrote:
I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we
seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

If you seal you will no longer be able to stain.

Who told you that?

Read the following link:

http://www.wrcea.org/cedar-products/...s/overview.htm

"If there is uncertainty over whether to use a water-repellent
preservative or a stain, first apply a water-repellent preservative. It
is possible to switch to a semi-transparent stain when the deck needs
to be refinished. Even if the deck has been maintained with a
water-repellent preservative for many years, an oil-based
semi-transparent stain will perform satisfactorily."