Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Gas water heater and home inspection

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

You are probably correct, but I don't know the code for your area. Why not
ask the building inspector? Once you determine the law, you can decide on a
remedy. You can show it does not have to be changed, you can pay to have it
changed, or you can take $200 off the selling price.

Being right in this case, may not be the best alternative. If the buyer is
insistent you risk losing the sale.