Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

Default Gas water heater and home inspection

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in a townhouse that was built in
1998. I am selling the townhouse. The inspector noted that the gas
water heater, which is located in a utility closet on the second floor,
is not elevated 18 inches. The buyer want me to have this fixed.

Am I correct that when the house was built, the water heater was
installed according to code (i.e. in 1998 the requirement to be 18
inches off the ground didn't exist)?

If so, I should not be responsible for this repair. Correct?

Any advice is welcome. I am supposed to close on Wednesday of next week
(June 28).

Rebecca

I don't have any knowledge of construction, but I can tell you about my
experience as a consumer when I bought my house. I live in Texas, and codes
in my town also require gas hot water heaters to be elevated a minimum of 18
inches. In my case, the hot water heater is in a storage room connected to
the garage. I hired a house inspecter before buying the house, and this was
one of the defects he noted. I made the correction, not the seller. On the
other hand, I would not let that interfere with buying a home because the
cost was *minimal.* The HWH is placed on concrete blocks set upright. They
are exactly 18 inches.

MaryL