Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Bedroom in apartment: Need ideas to buffer sounds from ceiling/neighbors

clipped

Whatever ideas people have; don't worry about how it will look; I could
always drape something over whatever work is there.

Thanks A LOT for any input.

Is the noise 24 hrs. a day? Only daytime? Neighbors have kids? Pets?
If all that you hear is people walking around during the day, I would do
nothing but get used to it or try to get to know them before bringing it
up. If kids play in the room, not much you can do. If the upstairs
room is not carpeted, you could offer to pay half with the landlord to
install carpet. There are condo's that do not allow tile floors on any
but the ground floor, for noise reasons. Could be a local code, but
that is a PIA.

Nailing something heavy like carpet is likely to get the landlord upset
and potentially damage the ceiling. There are ceiling treatments that
have a "tent" effect, with cloth gathered in middle of room and fastened
around the wall. Could be fastened with tack strips and finishing
nails. I would be concerned about fire hazard and weight, but a
light-weight, lofty fabric might cut the noise. Moving might be easier )