Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,alt.activism.noise.pollution
Tony

Default Bedroom in apartment: Need ideas to buffer sounds from ceiling/neighbors

888eight888 wrote:
Hello,

Between the ceiling and the floor of the upstairs apartment and mine;
there is no insulation.
(snip)
As far as putting something on my side of the ceiling; I've heard that
Home Depot has "foam boards" and I've heard of ideas regarding putting
up layers of rugs, etc.

I need clarification on how to and what materials to use, (as cheap as
possible), that I could affix, screw in or whatever to the ceiling and
possibly something on the walls (?) that would successfully reduce the
amount of noise.

As "noname87" wrote, getting your upstairs neighbours a carpet would be
quite effective. It would considerably reduce sharp knocks although it
would not do much for the "thump" of footsteps. Some apartments have a
clause in the lease that floors should be carpeted - it would be worth
checking if this applies to your neighbours. There have been a lot of
problems in recent years from people taking up fitted carpets and putting in
fancy wooden floors

There is no effective insulation that you can stick to the ceiling. To have
a useful effect you need an independent heavy layer, not solidly connected
to the existing ceiling. There are also things that could be done in the
apartment above (apart from a carpet), but would involve taking the floor up
and would not be so effective as an independent ceiling.

--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen