Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Redwood Deck Staining: Oil Based or Water Based

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
Home Depot sold my wife some oil based clear stain for our new redwood
deck. They told her that oil based wouldn't be available any longer and we
should get one coat of oil based on before we're stuck with water based.

Is oil based being outlawed?

What's the first thing I should do for my new redwood deck?

Should I treat my brand new redwood deck with oil based or water based
stain?

Oil is being phased out to keep the air cleaner and prevent cancer in
Kalifornya.

I'd use Penofin oil. So far, it has kept the woods I have in good shape and
has so far prevented it from graying because it has UV inhibitors.