Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Default modem line takeover?!

Franc, the USR 56K Faxmodem is also an internal soft modem (new
word?).

All of today's modems have setup switch settings, either hard or soft.
Without these the modem would be relatively inflexible and useless.
It's usually the modem initialization control command that sets them
up, and they typically run from S1 to S7 or more. These determine such
basic things such as if the modem is on-line continuously, normally
off-line, auto-answer, automatic retries, etc. You need to have a copy
of the chipset producer's technical data sheet to learn how to use
them, without which the chipset is virtually useless.

Without knowledge of what these settings mean and how to use them,
you're simply flying blind. This is why you need the data sheet.

When you purchase an integrated system, the system designers have
already done this basic bit of homework for you. But if you're starting
with the raw chipset, you have to do this bit of research for youself.

Harry C.

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 19 Jun 2006 21:34:10 -0700, put finger to keyboard
and composed:

My guess is that you're running into the same problem that I originally
had with my USR 56K Fax modem, until I learned how to set its switches.
The problem that I ran into with the SM56 is that the Motorola website
evidently lacks the documentation telling you where to set the switches

That's because there are none. The SM56 is an internal (S)oft(M)odem.

- Franc Zabkar