Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower
Rod Speed

Default Solar water heating system..

Derek Broughton wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Derek Broughton wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Matthew Maddock wrote

We are moving to France in a few months to a house that needs
renovating etc. There is no existing hot water system, so that got
me thinking that instead of putting in the usual electric water heating
system that is common in France, a solar system might be nice.

They're hardly ever good value where mains power is available.

It's not hard to generate enough hot water to
pay for a DHW system in reduced electric costs.

Dont believe it when its calculated properly.

Pay back for my system vs. electricity would be about 100 months.

Dont believe it, show the numbers.

Where are yours?

$30 MINIMUM per month for electric hot water heating at my home.

You need that anyway, you cant use pure solar almost anywhere.

$3000, installed, for a complete solar DHW system.

I just replaced my storage hot water system after 30 years for $500

Not great, but I know many systems running over
10 years with no capital additions, so it's workable.

Nope, not when its calculated properly.

Show me the numbers.

You didnt.

Since I'm not _on_ grid, and use propane
for hot water, payback is quicker.

Sure, thats why I said what I said about mains power.

No, you said it wasn't workable with mains power.

No I didnt. I said it wasnt usually GOOD VALUE.

I just said it's even faster when off-grid.

You also claimed that its viable on grid too.