Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower
Rod Speed

Default Solar water heating system..

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It isnt. Largely because the MUCH higher capital cost cant
be justified economically. In spades in France where the
bulk of electrical power comes from nukes which dont even
consume natural resources in the generation of the power.

I neglected to question the cost of energy in France. What is it?

Nothing special, because they have a lot of nuke generators now.

It isn't fair to denigrate the construction costs of solar, and ignore
the construction and infrasturcture costs of a nuclear power plant.

What matters is the cost TO THE INDIVIDUAL.

The individual considering which way to go with hot water
gets no say on what the state chooses to do with nukes.

They do require some natural resources to build and run.

Yes, but nukes last a hell of a lot longer
than individual solar hot water systems do.

That is the difference between Nick's coil of hose and
the $6000 I was quoted for an installed system. ;-)

Nope, the one being discussed is a lot more high tech than Nick's.

That's what I meant. Nick's system is closer to a viable price point, but
if you ask for a professionally installed system, it's the high tech variety.

Not necessarily as high tech as the particular one being discussed tho.

The solar blanket could be considered sufficient.

Maybe, but its rather more irritating to use.

I have a Feherguard cover reel. No problem at all to take off,
minimal to put back if you remember while you're still in the pool.

Still even easier to have a completely automated system with no cover at all.

The solar heater also fits the usage pattern.
The heat is there when the usage is desired.

The water tank is heated in off peak times and used any time you like.

Offpeak KWh is still $0.30 at the high tier usage.

Plenty pay nothing like that. I only pay 5c myself.

So your economic comparisons are far out of line from mine.

You sure you're paying 30c for offpeak ?

I have a 6x better payback than you.

With a VERY atypical offpeak power rate.

And what matters is the OP's offpeak power rate, not yours or mine.

Retrofitting some solar air heating is on my list.

Its much better to do it at the house design stage.

Next time ;-) I have a new neighbor building a home on an
empty lot. I will be trying to give as many helpful hints as
I can, as a precursor to my own construction in the future.

I have a few months to think about that one. I like
the Solar Sponge, and it would fit neatly into my
current home design.
http://solarsponge.com

MUCH too small for my taste. I've got 7 8'x8' myself.

Pics? Design?

Mine is completely integrated into the house design,
7 8'x8' patio doors on the north side of the house which
is 100' running East/West. I'm in the southern hemisphere.

There's another 6 on the south side, only the bathrooms
and toilets have normal windows, all rooms have full outside
access with those patio doors. The smallest bedrooms have
one of them, the largest bedroom has two. The biggest main
room has 5 and the smallest main room has 3.

That gives a very pleasant outside/inside effect when the
outside isnt too hot in summer, and there is a full run of
trees all along the south side. That environment is much
cooler in summer when say I come home from shopping.

In winter I bask in the sun thru those big doors,
in the biggest main room most of the daytime.

6' eaves all down the N side, calculated with the sun angles
to let all the sun in in winter and none in the summer.

I have a convenient spot to put some, and I will let aesthetics
limit the total size. Did you use a Solar Sponge style?

Nope, nothing like it. Completely integrated into the house design, like I said.

I also haven't decided whether to plumb the hot air into the prime living
area, or into the central heat air intake, which is conveniently nearby.

Separate plumbing seems more straightforward. I wouldn't have to
coordinate the heated air flow with the central heating run time.