Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

Default Solar water heating system..

In alt.solar.thermal Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It isnt. Largely because the MUCH higher capital cost cant
be justified economically. In spades in France where the
bulk of electrical power comes from nukes which dont even
consume natural resources in the generation of the power.

I neglected to question the cost of energy in France. What is it?

Nothing special, because they have a lot of nuke generators now.

It isn't fair to denigrate the construction costs of solar, and ignore the
construction and infrasturcture costs of a nuclear power plant.
They do require some natural resources to build and run.

That is the difference between Nick's coil of hose and
the $6000 I was quoted for an installed system. ;-)

Nope, the one being discussed is a lot more high tech than Nick's.

That's what I meant. Nick's system is closer to a viable price point, but
if you ask for a professionally installed system, it's the high tech
variety.

The solar blanket could be considered sufficient.

Maybe, but its rather more irritating to use.

I have a Feherguard cover reel. No problem at all to take off, minimal to
put back if you remember while you're still in the pool.

The solar heater also fits the usage pattern.
The heat is there when the usage is desired.

The water tank is heated in off peak times and used any time you like.

Offpeak KWh is still $0.30 at the high tier usage.

Plenty pay nothing like that. I only pay 5c myself.

So your economic comparisons are far out of line from mine.
I have a 6x better payback than you.

Retrofitting some solar air heating is on my list.

Its much better to do it at the house design stage.

Next time ;-) I have a new neighbor building a home on an empty lot. I
will be trying to give as many helpful hints as I can, as a precursor to my
own construction in the future.

I have a few months to think about that one. I like the Solar Sponge, and
it would fit neatly into my current home design.
http://solarsponge.com

MUCH too small for my taste. I've got 7 8'x8' myself.

Pics? Design? I have a convenient spot to put some, and I will let
aesthetics limit the total size. Did you use a Solar Sponge style?

I also haven't decided whether to plumb the hot air into the prime living
area, or into the central heat air intake, which is conveniently nearby.

Separate plumbing seems more straightforward. I wouldn't have to
coordinate the heated air flow with the central heating run time.

--
---