Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower
Rod Speed

Default Solar water heating system..

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It isnt. Largely because the MUCH higher capital cost cant
be justified economically. In spades in France where the
bulk of electrical power comes from nukes which dont even
consume natural resources in the generation of the power.

I neglected to question the cost of energy in France. What is it?

Nothing special, because they have a lot of nuke generators now.

In California, it's all about trimming the tiered usage.
The DWH sellers quote the price comparisons at "tier 5"
rates. The baseline rates don't rise, but the high tiers do.
Those KWh are currently $0.51. My DWH is propane,
currently at $1.69 per gallon, up from $1.07 in 2002.

What anyone with a clue uses is the offpeak rate for hot water.

And then there's the resouces wasted with the relatively high
tech approach to solar hot water in the system being discussed.

That is the difference between Nick's coil of hose and
the $6000 I was quoted for an installed system. ;-)

Nope, the one being discussed is a lot more high tech than Nick's.

Solar does make good economic sense with SOME
situations, most obviously with solar pool heating where
the capital cost is minimal, and the losses very high.

I am considering both, and neglected to keep an eye on the cost
differential, since they both seem like a good idea in my area.
The solar pool heater will cost less than any other style of heater...

Yeah, they're very simple, often just black plastic
tubing on a flat roof. The pump etc is already there to.

but it is entirely optional, so the "savings" is harder to justify.

It isnt hard to justify it on the longer season of viable water temps.

The solar blanket could be considered sufficient.

Maybe, but its rather more irritating to use.

The solar heater also fits the usage pattern.
The heat is there when the usage is desired.

Solar can also make sense with air heating, particularly when its
designed into the house before construction, but its hardly ever
good value for water heating when offpeak mains power is available.

Offpeak mains power. Another caveat.

Its really the only sensible way to do hot water.

I think showers would tend to be offpeak for most people.
Some mental agility is required to do the laundry offpeak,
or maybe not, depending on the lifestyle.

The water tank is heated in off peak times and used any time you like.

Offpeak KWh is still $0.30 at the high tier usage.

Plenty pay nothing like that. I only pay 5c myself.

Retrofitting some solar air heating is on my list.

Its much better to do it at the house design stage.

I have a few months to think about that one. I like the Solar Sponge, and
it would fit neatly into my current home design.
http://solarsponge.com

MUCH too small for my taste. I've got 7 8'x8' myself.