Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower

Default Solar water heating system..

In alt.solar.thermal Rod Speed wrote:
It isnt. Largely because the MUCH higher capital cost cant
be justified economically. In spades in France where the
bulk of electrical power comes from nukes which dont even
consume natural resources in the generation of the power.

I neglected to question the cost of energy in France. What is it?

In California, it's all about trimming the tiered usage. The DWH sellers
quote the price comparisons at "tier 5" rates. The baseline rates don't
rise, but the high tiers do. Those KWh are currently $0.51. My DWH is
propane, currently at $1.69 per gallon, up from $1.07 in 2002.

And then there's the resouces wasted with the relatively high
tech approach to solar hot water in the system being discussed.

That is the difference between Nick's coil of hose and the $6000 I was
quoted for an installed system. ;-)

Solar does make good economic sense with SOME situations,
most obviously with solar pool heating where the capital cost
is minimal, and the losses very high.

I am considering both, and neglected to keep an eye on the cost
differential, since they both seem like a good idea in my area. The solar
pool heater will cost less than any other style of heater... but it is
entirely optional, so the "savings" is harder to justify. The solar
blanket could be considered sufficient. The solar heater also fits the
usage pattern. The heat is there when the usage is desired.

Solar can also make sense with air heating, particularly when its
designed into the house before construction, but its hardly ever
good value for water heating when offpeak mains power is available.

Offpeak mains power. Another caveat. I think showers would tend to be
offpeak for most people. Some mental agility is required to do the laundry
offpeak, or maybe not, depending on the lifestyle. Offpeak KWh is still
$0.30 at the high tier usage.

Retrofitting some solar air heating is on my list. I have a few months to
think about that one. I like the Solar Sponge, and it would fit neatly
into my current home design. http://solarsponge.com

--
---