Andrew Gabriel

Default Mortice Locks

In article ,
"David Hearn" writes:

Incidentally, surely the insurer should notify you of these requirements -
so far I've not read anything like this in my documentation etc. Certainly
never read anything about window locks being required on any windows.

With the policies I've had, it was something which gets you a discount,
which as explained in another post, you probably don't want to take.
What you do have to watch is that when you first buy the insurance,
whoever is selling it doesn't just tick all the boxes on the form to
give you the lowest price quote, which isn't going to cover your real
situation. I've seen that happen several times. The best example was
a crash repair garage filling out the insurance form for a courtesy
car -- the woman just automatically ticked that you hadn't had an
accident in last 5 years. I tore it up and filled in a new one myself,
much to her protest as she'd been told to always tick that box. Stupid
thing was the price of this cover didn't seem to vary according to
what you filled in anyway.

The largest discount on house insurance was not for window locks, BS
door locks, alarms, etc, but was for being part of a neighbourhood watch
scheme. That should be a good indication of which of these the insurance
companies find most effective as a deterrant.

--
Andrew Gabriel