Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

Default Infinitely-adjustable angled joint for 1" (approx) metal tube?

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:10:43 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

A ball joint would not be rigid enough, the joint angle would slip with
the lightest pressure. What is needed is one of those joints where it
locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed angles. That would
need much less pressure on the joint bolt to make it stay where put.

But that's not "infinitely adjustable".

Please ingnore my "infinitely adjustable" term. It was a bad choice of
words. I only need about 15% of adjustment from straight, and in one
direction.

Me, I'd saw a bit of round bar down the middle and weld each half into a
bit of pipe. Cross drill it near one end before sawing and turn it round
so you get room to swing without fouling. File the radius if you're
feeling posh.

That would certainly be one way. (Thanks for the suggestion). I would
use aluminium bar for that (rust-prroof but easy to saw). And perhaps
a stainless steel bolt. Some Loctite between the mating faces should
provide sufficient anti-slip.

Can anyone suggest where I can get a small amout (6") of 1" diameter
aluminium bar?

Thanks...

Al D