Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

Default Infinitely-adjustable angled joint for 1" (approx) metal tube?

Suppose you had an aluminium garden rake handle and you wanted to make
an infinitely-adjustable angled joint half way along. Where can such a
joint be obtained cheaply, (preferably made of rust-proof metal -
ideally aluminium)? The joint should have a built-in screw or bolt for
tightening it at the set angle. Has anyone seen such an item for sale
lately?

Even if it is part of some tool or other equipment, it would be of
interest, if the tool can be bought fairly cheaply. (I can cut the
joint out and use it for my application). Those garden parasols come
to mind...

The joint has to be quite strong. Plastic would probably not be strong
or rigid enough.

Thanking you, hopefully...

Al D
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Al D wrote:
Suppose you had an aluminium garden rake handle and you wanted to make
an infinitely-adjustable angled joint half way along. Where can such a
joint be obtained cheaply, (preferably made of rust-proof metal -
ideally aluminium)? The joint should have a built-in screw or bolt for
tightening it at the set angle. Has anyone seen such an item for sale
lately?

Even if it is part of some tool or other equipment, it would be of
interest, if the tool can be bought fairly cheaply. (I can cut the
joint out and use it for my application). Those garden parasols come
to mind...

The joint has to be quite strong. Plastic would probably not be strong
or rigid enough.

Thanking you, hopefully...

Al D

There is something like that on my shower head - a ball joint is what
you want, although they only do about 45 degrees either side of straight.

Used in many places for many things..

Otherwise a pair of straight angle joints at 90 degrees will get you
universal movement..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Al D wrote:
[...]

A ball joint would not be rigid enough, the joint angle would slip with
the lightest pressure. What is needed is one of those joints where it
locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed angles. That would
need much less pressure on the joint bolt to make it stay where put.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

A ball joint would not be rigid enough, the joint angle would
slip with the lightest pressure. What is needed is one of those
joints where it locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed
angles. That would need much less pressure on the joint bolt to
make it stay where put.

As used on parasols over garden tables? I'll bet a pub would have a few
old ones which could be cannibalised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:42:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

What is needed is one of those joints where it
locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed angles. That would
need much less pressure on the joint bolt to make it stay where put.

AOL

I a ball joint won't work, but joint capable of movement in one plane only
with mating faces equipped with teeth should work fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Harry Bloomfield contains these words:

A ball joint would not be rigid enough, the joint angle would slip with
the lightest pressure. What is needed is one of those joints where it
locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed angles. That would
need much less pressure on the joint bolt to make it stay where put.

But that's not "infinitely adjustable".

Me, I'd saw a bit of round bar down the middle and weld each half into a
bit of pipe. Cross drill it near one end before sawing and turn it round
so you get room to swing without fouling. File the radius if you're
feeling posh.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

wrote:

A ball joint would not be rigid enough, the joint angle would slip with
the lightest pressure. What is needed is one of those joints where it
locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed angles. That would
need much less pressure on the joint bolt to make it stay where put.

Yes - a joint with teeth of some kind that lock together when a screw
is tighetened would be ideal.

BTW I chose my words badly when I said "infinitely adjustable" The
joint only actually needs to give adjustment from zero degrees to
about 15 degrees - however just about any angle within that range must
be possible; that's what I meant. I only need to change the angle in
one plane/direction; i.e., a universal joint is not required.

The type of joint used to give adjustable tilt to garden parasols is
the kind of thing I need - but it must be strong and hopefully
corrosion-proof, as it will be used under seawater.

Thanks to all for the responses so far.

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:10:43 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

A ball joint would not be rigid enough, the joint angle would slip with
the lightest pressure. What is needed is one of those joints where it
locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed angles. That would
need much less pressure on the joint bolt to make it stay where put.

But that's not "infinitely adjustable".

Please ingnore my "infinitely adjustable" term. It was a bad choice of
words. I only need about 15% of adjustment from straight, and in one
direction.

Me, I'd saw a bit of round bar down the middle and weld each half into a
bit of pipe. Cross drill it near one end before sawing and turn it round
so you get room to swing without fouling. File the radius if you're
feeling posh.

That would certainly be one way. (Thanks for the suggestion). I would
use aluminium bar for that (rust-prroof but easy to saw). And perhaps
a stainless steel bolt. Some Loctite between the mating faces should
provide sufficient anti-slip.

Can anyone suggest where I can get a small amout (6") of 1" diameter
aluminium bar?

Thanks...

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:51:46 +0100, Owain
wrote:

They're used at the base of angle-poise type lamps for mounting on
drawing boards. You might be able to find somewhere chucking out drawing
boards as they move to CAD.

Also used on some boom arms for microphone stands. Drum kits might also
be a possible source of supply -

Thanks for the good suggestions. I now seem to remember seeing some
kind of joint on a drum kit that would have been ideal.

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Al D contains these words:

But that's not "infinitely adjustable".

Please ingnore my "infinitely adjustable" term. It was a bad choice of
words. I only need about 15% of adjustment from straight, and in one
direction.

You mean smoothly adjustable between straight and 15°, yes?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Al D wrote:
[...]

I remember where you can get this sort of thing.

On top of a camera tripod.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Steve Firth wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:42:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

What is needed is one of those joints where it
locks with teeth giving a choice of several fixed angles. That would
need much less pressure on the joint bolt to make it stay where put.

AOL

I a ball joint won't work, but joint capable of movement in one plane only
with mating faces equipped with teeth should work fine.

Ball joint WILL work if its lockable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:33:56 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

You mean smoothly adjustable between straight and 15°, yes?

Yes. However, someone has suggested the concept of teeth that engage:
If the joint has small notches or teeth that force the adjustments to
be in, say, 1-degree increments, that would be fine too.

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

[...]

How about cannabilising an old big floodlight housing?

Most have a locking adjustable tilt mechanism at each side, where it
attaches to the bracket.

The mechanism is usually something like serrated circular surfaces, bolted
together at the pivot point. The serrations lock the adjustment.

Some bigger floodlights would probably have something big enough.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

How about cannabilising an old big floodlight housing?

Most have a locking adjustable tilt mechanism at each side, where it
attaches to the bracket.

Or not even the floodlight housing itself - just use both sides of the
bracket.

Remove or hacksaw the arms off each side of the bracket, and assemble them
directly together, with the serrated surfaces facing each other.

We've got some big marine floodlights here with some beefy aluminium
brackets that would certainly fit the bill.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al D

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:22:27 +0100, "Ron Lowe"
wrote:

Or not even the floodlight housing itself - just use both sides of the
bracket.

Remove or hacksaw the arms off each side of the bracket, and assemble them
directly together, with the serrated surfaces facing each other.

We've got some big marine floodlights here with some beefy aluminium
brackets that would certainly fit the bill.

Good suggestion - thank you. However, my search is over! I got lucky
today in Lidl's I found and aluminium-handled broom with an adjustable
joint. The joint is made of plastic, but it does look extremely
strong, so I think it will be ideal.

Thanks again to all respondees.

Al D
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Al D contains these words:

You mean smoothly adjustable between straight and 15°, yes?

Yes. However, someone has suggested the concept of teeth that engage:
If the joint has small notches or teeth that force the adjustments to
be in, say, 1-degree increments, that would be fine too.

1° teeth would be so fine as to be fairly useless.

--
Skipweasel

Metal Roof, Leaking at the lap joint screws [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 27th 05 02:53 PM
question jr Metalworking 17 August 30th 05 02:37 AM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 03:54 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 05:30 AM