Posted to alt.electronics
default

Default Positive Ground

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 03:42:29 GMT, "Ernie Werbel"
wrote:

Hi all. I am a part-time college student majoring in Electrical Engineering
Technology. I have been trying to learn as much as I can on my own since I
was twelve; about ten years now. The earliest material I found was in books
and experience in taking things apart. I learned that electrons flowed out
of the negative terminal of the battery, through the circuit components, and
back into the positive terminal. Hence, I have always designed my projects
around a positive ground point. No problems there.
Well for the past year I have finally gotten into the hardcore
electronics-related classes at the college. Some material is familiar, but
most of it is new. I am doing well however I have difficulty with the fact
that the modern textbooks are showing the circuits using a negative ground.
This seems backwards. I know the circuit will still work the same way, but
it's hard to get myself to think in the negative-ground sense. If I look at
a positive-grounded circuit, I can envision the electrons and make
calculations without difficulty, but it's a different story with negative
ground for me.
What is anyone else's takes on this?
Ernie

Can't you just assume they go from positive to negative, for the
purpose of reading the schematics easier? Frankly I don't see what
the difference is - I know the trons come from ground but that
information isn't relevant to designing stuff.