Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Too hard on myself?

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:46:55 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"
wrote:

One tip: Have your finishing area well lit and be looking for
problems as you're applying the finish. You can basically wet sand
those glue spots right as you're finishing and they disappear right
before your eyes. Then give it a critical look over before the second
coat.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "wet sand those glue
spots right as you're finishing"?
Does the glue spot show up when you're applying the finish, and you sand it
while the finish is still wet?

Yes the glue spots become very obvious with the finish. What I used
to do was leave it be until the first coat dried, then come back and
sand and refinish that area, let that dry and then go on with the
second coat. Sometimes by the time you come back to sand the glue
spots you've already forgotten where they were and maybe you miss one,
then you see it again doing the second coat... and it's hard to tell
whether you've sanded it enough. If you do it right then with the
finish still wet you don't miss any and as you sand it once you've
done enough the finish gets absorbed and matches the surrounding wood
so you know exactly when to stop. I wipe the excess finish off before
sanding with a paper towel, sand, wipe the dust off again with a paper
towel and then reapply the finish over the area

-Leuf.