Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Too hard on myself?

"foggytown" wrote in message
Striving for perfection is one thing. Being dissapointed when you
don't attain it is quite another. But how do you curb your own
excessive fussiness?

http://foggytown.spaces.msn.com/photos/?_c02_owner=1

I'd like to turn this hobby into some kind of earner by doing
made-to-measure boxes to order. My big problem is that I'm rarely
satisfied with my work and I assume that a potential customer will be
even more critical than I am.

There are imperfections in everything. I know how you feel though, as I'm
always critical of what I do. You have to be realistic though. I look at
what I made, know what can be done the next time, and admire what I did this
time. Others rarely see the little imperfections.

Only one piece of advice about taking orders. When you take your hobby to
business status, the fun may go out of it. For some people, their hobby can
become a rewarding career doing what they want to do. For others, it becomes
just another job, full of deadlines, and they find they no longer have a
hobby or time for themselves.