Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Beginners tips for plastic plumbing

"Nick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Ron
I have done a barn conversion all with plastic Hep20 barrier pipe. I
have had no problems what so ever. In fact you can even use push fit
between copper and plastic... but not chrome plated to plastic since
the chrome is a harder metal that copper, so the teeth on the push fit
dont bite.

I have a friend who used the double o ring type of fitting and had 2
leaks on a single bathroom job. I told him about Hep20 and he has had
no problems... it may have been that he was using it wrongly, but I
doubt it as he is very meticulous, but I cant be certain.

Using the correct cutting tool is vital as are inserts within every
fitting whether push or compression.

On the note about using plastic pipe but not push fittings I would say
the opposite. After all, the braking system on many lorries is push fit
and they opperate at much higher pressures than domestic water systems.
The only two downsides that I can see to plastic pipes are the
potential damage by hungry mice and the lasck of aesthetics present
with copper... but then again most plumbing is contained under floors
or within cupboards... so go for the Hep2O barrier (or another of your
choice) and enjoy the speed at which you can plumb your house.

Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

I have been using plastic (and copper) for years as well - I agree
entirely with Calum's findings and points, particularly...

Use it professionally and you will think differently. Just avoid the
pushfit fittings and all is fine.